Welcome to Lymphatic Care Specialists, LLC! I am so happy that you have an interest in this medically underserved population.On this site we will provide educational information and tools that you can use in either providing care or helping a patient find appropriate care. We also provide consulting services ranging from one-on-one education to seminars for groups of up to 50 people. Private consulting is available for facilities wishing to set up a lymphedema program as well.
I work with Cross Country Seminars to provide introductory courses on MLD therapy, and my training program is recognized by the National Lymphedema Network. This program allows medical professionals with licensure/certification to learn the basics of the lymphatic system, and to learn how to treat disorders other than lymphedema. Currently, it is advised that the medical professional graduate from a MLD/CDP course with a minimum of 135 hours in order to specifically treat lymphedema. There is great risk to these patients in trying to treat them without signifcant training.
Please see our certification section for more information concerning MLD/CDP certification. You may contact us for upcoming seminar dates, including one day introductions and full certification.The MLD/CDP certification will consist of 140 hours of hands-on clinical and classroom (theory) instruction. Theory will include lymphatic anatomy, physiology, classifications of lymph vascular disorders, signs & symptoms, indications & contraindications for treatment, alternate forms of edema, patient evaluation, treatment, and compression bandaging. Written and clinical exams will be given to ensure clinician competency.
Blacksburg, VA 4/22/2012-Comments:
- “Overall, my best course ever taken in 19 years. Thank you!”
- “Great instructor! Very easy learning environment.”
- “Instructor very approachable for questions and assistance.”
- “Very good instruction and enjoyed having vendors come and explain their materials.”
- “Relaxed environment, but yet included all material. Good learning environment.”
- “You are a very thorough teacher, caring about all the students…very effective!”
- “Carmen thank you so much for your ongoing support. You are a wonderful resource to your patients and to your students. I hope I can demonstrate to corporate the cost effective benefits to increasing our outcomes with lymphedema therapy.”
Atlanta, GA 1/15/2009 – Comments:
- “Speaker held attention”
- “Good manual on techniques”
- “Great introductory course, that’s what I was looking for”
- “Excellent knowledge and ability to pass it on”
- “Very knowledgeable instructor, kept course content exciting”
- “Carmen did a fantastic job. She was very personable, approachable, and a great resource for further questions.”
- “Good survey course from a passionate knowledge of the instructor, thanks!”
- “Very good interactive intervention during this course.”
- “Excellent instructor! Very engaging. Most relevant information.”
- “Presenter excellent teacher, knowledgeable, lots of material covered, somewhat overwhelmed by the details, would love a follow-up course”
- “Seminar gave great treatment protocols to address edema due to various indications, that can be used next day in treatment sessions”
Please email us under the contact link if you are interested in participating in a certification class this year. The certification course will continue quarterly for one year to complete all four modules. To view a partial list of my seminars with Cross Country Education, click here.
Carmen Thompson, B.S., LPTA, CMT, CLT
Lymphatic Care Specialists, LLC